As you know, this was not a good year to be a first year teacher in California. I'll leave politics out of it, but the fact remains that our state's money was spent everywhere BUT education. I got pink slipped in March and actually was officially laid off at the end of the school year. Huge budget cuts really messed with my district (as well as every other district in this "delightful" state). It was a huge goal of mine to keep my 6th graders up-to-date on current events and when the whole budget crisis hit, I tried my best to make them aware of what was going on without putting too many of my personal feelings into it. They were actually really upset about the whole thing and wanted to know what they could do. Unfortunately, nothing short of the appearance of a few billion extra dollars could save my job, but it truly touched my heart that they were concerned about me. Many of my students dressed in pink on "Pink Friday" to protest the fact that I was pink slipped and losing my job. It meant alot to me!



Here I am with some of my AMAZING students! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these kids!
As you might imagine, the rest of the month was a blur. It was consumed with "activist" stuff, hearings, board meetings, rude people at work heckling those on the chopping block, etc. It really wasn't my favorite month because of those things. On the flipside, I did experience an outpour of love and support from my family and other close friends and colleagues.
No comments:
Post a Comment